Friday, March 9, 2018

POEM - Niki

Niki

You wait here
Why can’t I come in
Wait here. I’ll only be a minute

On the edge
Discarded excess
Bleak in the winter gray light
The car grows stuffy

Minutes seem like hours

Did you fall asleep?
No. 

Why doesn’t Niki have kids?
She’s not married

She chews gum, you don’t let me
That’s because you forget to throw it in the trash
before bed
and then it’s tangled in your hair
Besides, its common
What’s ‘common’ mean?
Never mind

He said that!?
He can’t say that
ten minutes! It was
fifteen at the most

We're stopping by Niki’s
Why? I don’t like going there
It will only be a minute
You’re always on the phone with her
It’s almost Christmas, I need to drop off this box
I don’t like going there, it’s stupid
Don’t say ‘stupid.’ It’s common

What!?
Wait a minute!
He can’t do that!
Oh, oh, oh, Niki

Isn't that Niki's street?
Why don’t we go there anymore?

Niki no longer lives there

No comments:

Post a Comment