I find Gautier's playing the best cello sound of any cellist. "Gautier" is also an old family surname. That is what first attracted me to him, and then I heard his sound - fantastic! Faure's "After a Dream" is one of my favorite pieces. I will post the Capucon brothers playing the complete Brahms's Double Concerto --- a great performance.
-----------------------------------------------------
Gabriel Faure: Après un rêve (After a dream) Op.7, No.1 (1878)Poem by Romain Bussine (1830-1899), after an anonymous Italian source (trans. David K. Smythe)
----------------------------------------------------
In a slumber
which held your image spellbound
I dreamt of happiness,
passionate mirage,
your eyes were softer,
your voice pure and sonorous,
you shone like a sky lit up by the dawn;
You called me and I left the earth
to run away with you towards the light,
the skies opened their clouds for us,
unknown splendours,
divine flashes glimpsed,
Alas! Alas!
sad awakening from dreams
I call you,
O night,
give me back your lies,
return,
return radiant,
I dreamt of happiness,
passionate mirage,
your eyes were softer,
your voice pure and sonorous,
you shone like a sky lit up by the dawn;
You called me and I left the earth
to run away with you towards the light,
the skies opened their clouds for us,
unknown splendours,
divine flashes glimpsed,
Alas! Alas!
sad awakening from dreams
I call you,
O night,
give me back your lies,
return,
return radiant,
return,
O mysterious night.
No comments:
Post a Comment